“Do things for yourself; in thirty years nobody is going to remember your choices except you.”
Over the last two weeks, I have really struggled with self-love and doing things for only me. It’s hard to put yourself first when you’re always putting others first when the truth is loving yourself should be the priority over all the other things. In the words of Sheryl Crow, “if it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad”.. so do it.. make yourself happy.
Life is too short to not do what makes you happy. If anything I’ve learned over the last year that has been reiterated these past few weeks in finding myself, it is to do what is best for you and everything else will fall into place. If you don’t do what’s best for you first how can you do what is best for anyone else? From now on, I’m doing just that while blasting and singing “If It Makes You Happy” by Sheryl Crow.
Things I’ve done (that you should try too) that’s made me the happiest I’ve been in a while:
- Had a dance party in my car on Friday to get out of my head. (If you were one of the chosen ones to see my Snapchats, consider yourself lucky).
- Had spontaneous nights with friends that included crying and laughing
- Ate ice cream for dinner
- Ate breakfast for lunch
- Bought myself new clothes because why not?!
- Dressed up for brunch in something I wouldn’t normally wear
- Had brunch with old friends
- Took selfies and posted them because again: Why. Not.
- Woke up and reminded myself that the life I live is beautiful.
- Appreciated myself and then the people around me (side note I really need to listen to my own advice).
On my bad days I remind myself of these things because it’s the wins that outway the losses.